Jay K. Miller
Jay has over 30 years of experience in the construction industry. He spent his early years as a mechanical contractor in a family owned business. Jay’s construction experience ranges from campus development to premium interior projects. Early in his career Jay worked for Hewitt Associates in The Woodlands, Texas in the Engineer/Construction Manager roles. Chasing his passion to build, he joined a large construction company headquartered in Houston, learning to build as an Assistant Superintendent, Superintendent, Project Manager, Senior Project Manager and most recently leading as the Vice President of Interiors before he and Mike opened Miller LaPoint Construction. These experiences help him serve clients and employees while problem solving at every level. He has been very fortunate to work with some of the brightest minds in both construction and consulting. Living in Montgomery, Texas with his wife Lisa of 18 years and their 3 children, he enjoys sports, the outdoors and when time allows, traveling.
- Hilcorp – Houston, TX
- Norton Rose Fulbright – Houston, TX
- Reed Smith – Houston, TX
- McGlinchey Stafford – Houston, TX
- Jackson Walker Levels 18-20 – Houston, TX
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman – Houston, TX
- United Airlines – Houston, TX
- ExxonMobil –
- Beusa Energy – The Woodlands, TX
- Dynamis Power Solutions – The Woodlands, TX
- Breitburn Energy – Houston, TX
- Ambassadors Office – Houston, TX
- Andrews & Kurth – Houston, TX
- X-Drill – Houston, TX
- Cadwalader Wickersham & Taft –Houston, TX
- Targa Resources – Houston, TX
- Katten Muchin Rosenman – Houston, TX
- Pennzoil Place – Houston, TX
- McDermott Will & Emery – Houston, TX
- McGraw Hill-Platts – Houston, TX
- Quorum Business Solution – Houston, TX
- The Office of James Burnett – Houston, TX
- Trafigura – Houston, TX
- 1415 Louisiana Repositioning –Houston, TX
- Gibbs & Bruns – Houston, TX
- Energy Minerals Group – Houston, TX
- Andrews & Kurth – Houston, TX
Mike has over 17 years construction experience, 14 years within the Houston commercial construction industry. His early career path began while working for one of the (now) largest general contracting firms in Houston, TX, where he worked his way to the top to hold an elite upper management position. While there he specialized in the Interior Construction Division and led, mentored, and trained many teams of young talent. Mike has delivered projects of various sizes, ranging anywhere from $500,000 – $30 million. He was selected to develop a Houston Downtown Division where he assisted in all business activities. In 2016 Mike pursued his next opportunity where he held a Vice President position with a younger general contracting firm to further establish and grow their presence in the construction market. In 2018 Mike became a founding partner of Miller LaPoint Construction where he oversees all aspects of the Company’s business. Mike is a graduate of Texas Tech University with a degree in Construction Engineering.
- Child Advocates – Houston, TX
- Dow Chemical – Houston, TX
- Dow TIC Admin Buildout – Lake Jackson, TX
- Dow TIC Amenities Buildout – LEED Silver- Lake Jackson, TX
- Make-A-Wish Foundation – Stafford, TX
- Cathexis – Houston, TX
- McGriff, Seibels & Williams of Texas – Houston TX
- ABB Interiors at Westchase Park – Houston, TX
- Logica at Westchase Park – Houston, TX
- Sanders Morris Harris – Houston, TX
- Statoil Hydro- Houston TX
- Chevron HPC II – 1600 Smith – Houston, TX
- Enbridge – Houston TX
- Clean Line Energy – Houston, TX
- United States Attorney’s Office – Houston, TX
- Crown Castle – Houston, TX
- Helix Energy Solutions – Houston, TX
- Murphy Oil – Houston, TX
- CB&I – Houston, TX
- Zachary Industrial – Houston, TX
- IHI E&C – Houston, TX
- BMC Software – Houston, TX
- Andrews Meyers – Houston, TX
- Iberia Bank – Houston, TX
- Schlumberger – Sugarland, TX
- Berkley Oil and Gas – Houston, TX
- Solvay – Houston, TX
- Costello Engineering – Houston, TX
- Neste – Houston, TX
- Carnelian Energy – Houston, TX
- Buck Keenan – Houston, TX
- LyondellBasell – Houston, TX
A Partnership Built On Trust
Jay Miller and Mike LaPoint met on the job while working for a highly regarded commercial construction company headquartered in Houston, Texas. Both were assigned to the company’s commercial interior division. Jay was as an assistant superintendent in its healthcare group, while Mike was an assistant project manager in the corporate interiors group. Both were involved with some of the company’s most complex projects and worked side-by-side with some of the brightest minds in the industry. It was this experience and exposure that helped both Jay and Mike learn their trade at an extremely accelerated pace.
Like many ambitious professionals, after a few years, Jay left the company for a smaller competitor. During his six-year tenure there, Jay helped double the company’s revenue and employee base. Meanwhile, Mike was proving himself to be an extremely effective and successful project manager. With that came expanded responsibilities, as he oversaw and managed many of the company’s multimillion-dollar projects.
Intrigued by his success and ability to generate revenue, Jay’s former employer convinced him to come back and Jay was reunited with Mike in 2009. Natural leaders and compatible thinkers, the team of Jay and Mike convinced the company to open a new interior construction division in Houston’s Central Business District. Both were promoted to the level of senior project manager, where they essentially managed this new division’s business activities, which included: marketing, project management, recruiting, quality control, safety, and P&L. Through Jay and Mike’s vision and leadership, this business venture was extremely successful and contracted $15 to 30 million annually.
In 2016, both were approached by an up and coming competitor to help bolster its management team with proven experience. In their new roles as Vice President, they were able to utilize their previous experiences and contacts to grow their new employer’s revenue and employee base by opening and developing the company’s corporate interiors division. But for the two entrepreneurial division leaders, they both knew that what they really desired was to be in control of their own destiny. And that meant ownership. If not there … on their own.
In April of 2018 Jay and Mike officially opened the doors of Miller LaPoint Construction. Their vision was to create a construction company with the primary focus of class A interior construction. At the core of their business philosophy were these three values: To be trustworthy, to serve and to lead by example. Jay and Mike firmly believe the single greatest asset the company can offer are their employees. Why? Because only they can deliver the core values of the company.
Off to a fast start, MLC was able to recruit and hire some of the best “assets” in the business … Sunday Landgraf, John Peebus, and Stephen Roberts. Each had previously operated in critical roles with Jay and Mike and were instrumental in MLC’s ability to instantly add value by helping the partners to assist in safely completing the company’s first quality projects and establish an immediate track record of success.
More exciting news soon followed when Chris Holland and Andy Ray joined the company as Vice Presidents. Both had also previously worked with Jay and Mike on large projects and played key roles in their completion. It is this kind of experience, both on the job and with the client, that has helped shape MLC and round out the leadership group.
Trust has carried MLC a long way in a short period of time and it will always be the foundation of MLC’s success
What is the definition of TRUST?
It is reliance on the integrity, strength, ability, surety, of a person or thing; confidence.
Finally, we chose our company colors to be black and white. It speaks to who we are and how we operate. We want to eliminate the gray area for our clients and coworkers. With this approach, and our foundation of TRUST, we aim to comfortably grow into Texas’s premier commercial interior contractor.